Tops for apple shapes can be pretty tricky, but I tend to gravitate towards my tried and true styles which I thought I’d share!
Here are some tips for choosing tops for apple shapes:
1. I wear a lot of dark tops to balance out a slimmer lower half.
Every bright or light color has a darker counterpart or opposite.
- rust (like above) instead of orange or peach
- maroon, oxblood, or burgundy instead of red or pink
- dark brown instead of yellow
- hunter green, dark teal, or emerald green instead of lime or green
- navy blue instead of light blue or blue
- dark gray instead of light gray
- black instead of white
2. If I wear light colors on my top, I try to frame it with a darker blazer or cardigan.
3. If I wear print on top, I try to do smaller prints or if larger prints, I wear a darker cardigan or blazer over it.
.4 Shirts that hit at the widest point of the hip instead of longer for me actually look more flattering because they create a nice horizontal line where apple shapes are more narrow.
5. I tend to gravitate towards quarter length sleeves or long sleeves because my arms feel disproportionately larger than the rest of my body.
6. I do a lot of v necks and deep scoop necks to elongate my shorter neck.
7. I avoid gathered waists but love ruching and smocking if it’s at the smallest part of my high waist.
8. I almost always untuck any shirt I wear because I have such a high waist, short torso. Untucking insures that the line isn’t broken up, elongates the torso, and skims over the tummy better. Even if I’m wearing a high rise jean, I still always untuck my tops.
Here are my favorite top styles!
2. Swing Tee-
5. Cowl neck-
9. Kimono top-
13. Color block top-
14. Wrap top-
15. Puff sleeves-
18. Twist front top-
What are your favorite kinds of tops? I’d love to know!
*Are you an apple shape? Want a free capsule wardrobe made specifically for you? Fill out your email address here to download it and to subscribe to my exclusive monthly newsletter.
Apple Shapes: Get Dressed Faster and Look Better in Your Clothes. Get Your Free Capsule Wardrobe Now.
- 12 pieces = 35 outfits
- tips for choosing each piece specific to flattering your shape
- picture of author wearing each outfit so you can visualize the items on an apple shape
**Thank you for supporting the brands that allow MidoriLei.com to provide valuable, free content. Although some links in this post may be affiliate links, which provide a small commission at no cost to you, be assured that I only share products that I would consider buying myself. Great thought and care are given to the selection of all recommendations.